Thursday, September 8, 2016

Paris Letters

A wonderful memoir that reads like a novel!

Paris Letters Book Review
Amazon   |   Book Depository

Summary (via Goodreads): Unfulfilled at her job and unsuccessful in the dating department, Janice MacLeod doodled this question at her desk. Then she decided to make it a challenge. 

Over the next few months, with a little math and a lot of determination, she saved up enough to buy two years of freedom in Europe.

But she had only been in Paris for a few days when she met a handsome butcher (with a striking resemblance to Daniel Craig)—and never went home again.

A love story in the vein of Almost French and Lunch in Paris, Paris Letters is a joyful romp through the City of Light, and an inspiring look at what can happen when we dare to create the life we want.


Paris Quote
I knew I'd love this book as soon as I heard this line~
Review (4/5 stars): I listened to the audio version of this book and I had to stop to look the book up online after the first chapter to figure out of this was fiction or not, and I think that's a good thing!

While the premise is your typical 'unhappy woman packs up and goes to France to find love, life, and herself', the way that this memoir is written is not typical.  I found it immensely enjoyable to listen to.  Partly because the narration was so exuberant, but more so because there was an actual story to be told.

I connect with the author in so many ways.  I too have run off to other parts of the globe!  I too have fallen head over heels with someone who doesn't speak my  language!  I too have suffered the frustrations of immigration officers that you can't tell off no matter how upset your are for fear that they won't renew your visa!  However, there is so much humour within all of these stories that I think I would've enjoyed it even if I hadn't had those same experiences.

This is a great book for those of you who want to get away, for those of use who did it and didn't think to write about it, and for those of you who just want to live vicariously in someone else's shoes...in Paris!



One of the ways that Janice MacLeod started to fund her travels was by setting up a subscription service through Etsy where you can purchase beautifully written and illustrated letters directly from her!  This is something she still does!  So you can have your very own set.  Plus, she even sells a colouring book.  Her shop name is JaniceArtShip, check it out and get your own set of letters!

Have you ever dreamed of packing it all in and starting life over somewhere new?  What country would you start in?  What would you do there?  Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comment

I look forward to reading your comments so make sure to add yours! Every one of them is very much appreciated.

Thanks!